What is the cause for the degradation of environment?
Capitalism, corruption, consuming society? - OVERPOPULATION!
Please, save the Planet - kill yourself...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

openSUSE 11.4 - now I have it!

I've updated my openSUSE 11.3 to 11.4 version! It's awesome!!!

The last time I've tried to update 11.2 to 11.3 I failed and had to perform a clean installation, but this time it was Ok. Maybe because this time I've added new repos for additional software before updating, not just basic official repos. This update saved a great deal of time - I don't need to set up the environment and install needed software.

openSUSE 11.3 was more stable than 11.2 so I accepted it's performances issues (it worked little bit slower than Window7, which I have in dual boot, and some programs stuck from time to time). I don't know what was the reason for these minor issues. Now with 11.4 these issues are gone!

Of course there are some minor problems after update. PulseAudio is a default audio driver and as always it's a crap -  I can't stand so terrible sound. Disabling it didn't help so I deleted PulseAudio completely. Sound is Ok now. The second problem is broken VLC-player. I've reinstalled it several times but still every time I'm trying to open something it crashes with the segmentation fault and telling something about my locale (which I decided to change from RU to US before updating). This is not a tragedy, because M-Player works just fine. G-mail plasmoid started to work properly only after it was deleted and reinstalled. Amarok's play-lists were broken. Other issues aren't noticed so far.


One of the most delicious change in 11.4 version for me was clouds [updated everyday] added to the desktop map. [as a geographer] I've tuned one of the desktops (in KDE) which is used to work with GIS to show the world map with the night shadow, which shows where is night at this moment. It is interesting, that globe as desktop backgroundin KDE environment wasn't available for Fedora and Kubuntu when I used them last year. 


One of the my desktops with the night shadow moving across the world map.

Settings for the image above
Also the world map is available as interactive globe, Open Street Map, and if you're tired of Mother Earth just chose Moon instead.

No comments :

Post a Comment